Tuesday, July 20, 2010
I went to attend the NUS JSS Camp (Japanese Studies Society) from 13th to 16th July. Initially I didn't wanted to go for the camp because I had to take the QET on the 15th and had to send Eveline off to Melbourne on the night of 14th. After thinking about it, I decided to go for it because going for this camp will be the best chance to meet new friends; especially those who are interested in Japanese culture.
The first day, we had to meet at the central library at 12pm and we were assigned groups according to the names of food (Udon, Ramen or Soba). I was allocated in the group Udon. We were introduced to our OGs and mingered around. We played ice breaker games and were given an introduction of the club and their subclubs Sado and Buyo. We also had a tour around the central library in NUS which was really huge (6th storeys). They even have a section dedicated to Japanese books, magazines, newspapers etc.

Were taught some Buyo Steps..

Cheryl and I dressed up in Yukatas..
We went back to the lecture hall where we played some quiz game and music station. The quiz game was divided into 5 catagories and one of which was my favourite and that was the "Name the JE boys". It was quite easy for me since I support JE but I felt like hitting myself for not knowing Sakurai Sho's Major in University!!! <--- Deserved to get shot!! T_T! Music Station was pretty fun as we needed to guess the artists and song titles of the songs. Our team managed to get alot of points XD. After that, we went to check in to our chalet which is the Aloha Changi Fairy Point. We played "Hummingbird" where we suppose to either sing or hum the songs. The night walk was not scary; thank god.. 2nd Day we woke up at 9am. For our breakfast, we had a choice of either banana nut crunch, bread with spreads, chicken stew etc.. After breakfast, we had an obstacle course challenge. The first part we had to race with our sleeping bags to the other end; then use a spoon to balance a ping pong ball and then complete a task. Our team clinched number 1 again. The amazing race started at around 11 plus and the positions of setting off was determined by answering "Jian Da" questions. My team was the last to set off.. Haha probably because we weren't "Jian Da" enough. The race was pretty relaxing and we didn't really run or anything. We had to visit places like sunshine plaza around bugis, the Japan creative centre, ion orchard etc. I also managed to try out KOI bubble tea at Iluma.. Omg, it taste so good!!! It was heaven!!! We also had certain task to do at each station like answering the quiz given by the station masters, finding stuff... I had to leave in the midst of the race to send off Eveline. After that, I headed home and slept early to have enough energy for my QET in the morning.

Group shot !!
I woke up pretty early and had to go to the multi purpose hall for my QET. I was surprised that there were so many people taking the test. It was probably the longest test I had to take because seriously, when I saw the question paper, I was stunned. I did not know what the question was about and in my mind, I told myself that I will fail. But nevertheless, I continued writing and when the time was up, I heaved a sigh of relief. I met up with Shi qi and 2 of the other members and headed to Tampines to find our respective groups. They were shopping for the making of Character Bento. We all reached back to the chalet at 2.45pm and had our lunch. We went straight to making our bento and our group decided to make a "Usagi" bento. The result turned out more than what I had expected and it was really cute. We had to present our bento to the judges.

In the midst of making our bento..

Udon group presents... Usagi Bento!!
Following the presentation, we had time to plan out our skit before commencing the BBQ. We lost in the Janken and had to go first. The skit was enjoyable as my team acted out a host club where the guys had to serve the ladies. Each of the guys acted out a funny character which made everyone laughed. I too, was having a blast looking at the guys performed. The other 2 groups were also great and overall, that was probably one of the best parts of the camp.
After the skit, we played human poker where you were given something to act out and you had to freeze. Those who had the same pose will score the points. One of the most hilarious poses was for Paul the Octopus... seriously how do you pose for that in the first place??
The night was just getting started. I took a quick shower and went downstairs to watch some ARASHI videos with my friend Rindy. We also went for a photoshoot where we could make special effects with the camera which I thought was awesome. I only managed to sleep at around 5am.

UDON!!

CHIDORI AND RASENGAN!! How cool is that!!
The last day drew by.... Our team was awarded first and received a hamper. We also had a group photo with a photo frame as a present. I really enjoyed this camp!!

Udon Group!! BANZAI!!

The whole gang!!
Labels: Camp, NUS
now you notice i talk a lot!